Bold, Edgy, Contemporary Theatre for a Better World.
Founded in 2014 by Matt White and Carin Lowerison, Green Light Arts is a not-for-profit theatre company based in Waterloo Region. Our mission is to create and produce entertaining, challenging, and unique theatre experiences that engage and inspire audiences to make the world a better place. We strive to cultivate a relevant artistic voice in contemporary society and use theatre as the beginning of a conversation to encourage audiences towards positive social change.
- To present well-crafted, bold, challenging plays from Canada and around the world;
- To uphold the professional theatre industry through rigorous practice and high-calibre work;
- To make theatre accessible to all, regardless of ability or socio-economic status;
- To celebrate and reflect diversity and inclusion in our work of different cultures, genders, ages, abilities, sexual orientations, education, class and beliefs;
- To use theatre as means of encouraging collaboration, enhancing confidence and emboldening imagination through enriching educational programs for youth.
We acknowledges that our organization and programming are situated on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishnawbe and Haudenosaunee peoples. The Haldimand Treaty, established in 1784, was originally 950,000 acres of land promised to the Six Nations people covering 6 miles on either side of the length of the Grand River. Waterloo Region is located on the Haldimand Tract which has now been reduced to approximately 48,000 acres.
It is our duty as treaty people to acknowledge the origin and impact of settler societies on this land and on its Indigenous people and that this self-awareness is only a first step towards colonial reconciliation.
Photo by Jeremy Singer of You Be Me featuring Vivien Endicott-Douglas and Michaela Washburn